Sunday, July 9, 2023

Sailor Moon Inspired

 

So I recently became a fan of Sailor Moon. I'm enjoying the series so far, but I also saw Spider-Verse recently, so I couldn't help but wonder what Sailor Moon would be like in a more American-style, streamlined superhero costume. I did some experimentation with the design and I landed on something like this. Most of the doodles will probably never appear on this blog. 

I tried to keep elements of her design in the costume. Originally it was much more complex. I played around with the mask style before deciding on incorporating her bow. I also made her moon symbol much more prominent.


I wanted to somehow keep part of Usagi's iconic hairstyle even if it was just partial. So the above image is experimenting with her double buns. I looked up some reference pictures from real life so I could reinterpret the buns instead of trying to copy the original art style. While I think that the perfectly circular buns are aesthetically pleasing, they wouldn't have fit with this art style. So I tried other styles.


This is a doodle I did at work. Here, her chest symbol is more pronounced and the arms are less complex. I also forgot to fix the legs. I could've gone back and done them, but oh well. It's just concept work for now. 

This is perhaps the image I'm most happy with. I didn't get the pose exactly right, but I'm still proud of how this turned out. 

God be with me. Lord keep me safe. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment