Friday, April 19, 2019

Star Brand



This is the first character I knew would be on the After Avengers, and who I imagined as kind-of the main character. This version of Star Brand is pulled directly from the Jonathan Hickman comic "50 Into the Future" which I mentioned in the last post. In this hypothetical MCU, maybe Kevin Connor the first Star Brand was introduced in some form or another, either in the main movies or one of the many streaming series coming up. But if not, this Star Brand would still work. We never learn her name in the comic, only that she was there when the first Star Brand died and transferred his symbol to her forehead. "It was beautiful," she said (Update: Okay, read the comic again. Technically she says "It was magnificent." Somewhat different.). The first Star Brand struggled with coming to terms with the power he now possessed. I imagine the new Star Brand as having the opposite problem: that what used to be her life feels pointless in comparison to the awesome universe shaping power she's been branded with. But is it? Is she meant for a greater purpose? Or is her old life worth keeping? How did the original Avengers deal with it? In terms of modern movie genres, she'd represent the really excellent Science Fiction stories we've gotten lately (Interstellar, Arrival, Westworld, Annihilation) that feel like homages to classic sci-fi. She'd embody that same kind of realism mixed with fantastical existential wonder.
I think it's worth noting that, in my head, the After Avengers are not the team of Avengers that forms immediately after the original Avengers retire in Endgame. With a difference of Fifty Years between the two, the second Avengers team is whoever Marvel has in mind for Phase 4 (the "New Avengers"), and since the original Avengers operated for about eleven years, there's at least one more team (hypothetically the "Next Avengers") between the first Avengers and the After Avengers.
I like how I drew the first "The After Avengers" logo better. I think it was a little more uniform in terms of size and spacing. I think I managed to capture the MCU look a little better here without resorting to random buckles.

This is the first picture I drew of her before I knew what pose I wanted to do for the main picture. Whatever pose I ended up with, the big thing was for it to be different from the other Marvel movie poster poses. Recently, God saved me from backsliding into pharisaism. I need to remember that an easy life here and now is not one of the promises, and that the things that bring me joy everyday are unbelievable, impossible. Love you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment