Thursday, April 25, 2019

Other Guide

This is the first After Avenger I basically built from the ground up. I'm very happy with him. He's about two days in the making (today and yesterday). The amount of time I spent just on his name felt kind of ridiculous. See, Marvel names are made up of very physical concepts (elements, titles, animals, letters, numbers), that don't often go together and combine to say something about the character. That may sound obvious, but it's actually an important detail that determines whether a name is distinctive and fits in the Marvel Universe or not. For example, my previous creation "Titan-Boy" is a name I'm really proud of looking back. It's made of two concepts that don't really go together. The difference is I already knew I was going to use the "Boy" suffix. I had half of the name. Same with Baymax 6. With Other Guide I had no idea. I went to sleep with different names swimming around in my head. But this afternoon I finally decided on this one.
He uses that helmet to receive and broadcast ideas across the internet and through other people's heads. It's basically telepathy with virtual reality. In keeping with movie genres, Other Guide is inspired by the thought provoking horror movies we've gotten recently. He's from a bubble city floating just under the ocean's surface near Indonesia. See, in the future, I think governments and corporations are going to build floating water cities on the oceans. Because the ocean isn't currently owned by any one nation, this is going to open up the possibility of a lot of exploratory and good new governments. However, some of those bubble nations aren't going to be so good. Other Guide comes from one of those. 
He lived most of his life not knowing the rest of the world existed. But overtime he slowly learned his community was founded by Symbiotes, who used all-too-eager interventionist big businesses to create a society of humans to use basically as food. 
In addition to keeping this society isolated, they were harvesting a mind-altering liquid called "virtulacrym" from their own forms that they got from another alien race (the same way Venom absorbed Spider-Man's webbing). The virtulacrym kept their humans in check. But when Other Guide was exposed to a large amount of it while investigating, he gained telepathic and even some telekinetic abilities. And, after an adjustment period, he and the other resisting humans fashioned a helmet and staff that allows him to effectively use his powers. The staff works as an antenna, and also a blunt instrument and plasma generator, cause Symbiotes don't like plasma. Now he uses his powers to communicate between people from different worlds.


This is the first picture I drew of him. I think I did too much detail in both drawings. I feel like it's just not as good as my other two After Avengers drawings. I'm not the character designer I want to be. The arm straps and helmet were inspired by Virtual Reality equipment I've seen, but now looking at it I'm worried it looks to much like sports gear, which was not my intention. I tried changing it a bit, but I don't know. I think it could still look really great in real life. (Update 5/9/2019: I did not realize how much it looks like Whiplash's first outfit. It must have been at the back of my mind, but it was not in the front.) The strap on the back of the helmet is so he can take it off and it will still be connected to him. It's hard to tell from these two drawings, but he's actually wearing a jumpsuit (like a SHIELD uniform or the suit people wore in his bubble city) half-undone and tied around his waist. I should have used more references to draw that. I wanted his suit to not be as covering as most MCU suits. A large part of horror is about vulnerable characters, and I still remember talking with my mom about how much more powerful Wonder Woman looks when she's in a war zone because she's not wearing full-body armor. I wanted that different kind of power.

Sometimes when I look back at my work I wonder "where did that come from?" And I'm so thankful that God gives me these things and gives me the pleasure and honor of being part of creating things that I never could on my own. Thanks, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment