Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Transformers: Dynamism

Transformers: Dynamism 


Today I'm doing something different. The link is to a Google Document of a Transformers comic I wrote when I was fifteen. It's nothing revolutionary, but I've been advised to share it on this blog a few times, so I thought I would since I mentioned Transformers in the last post. This comic was sort of my vision for what the Transformers movies could be more like. There's a minimum amount of humans, but I kept some of the more violent aspects of what I consider to be pretty cool fight scenes. On that note, even though they're super-powerful robots, it still might be too graphic for a lot of people (my younger cousins included).
To my mind, the Transformers TV and movie franchise has always been about a war between good and evil, and war is scary. In portraying realistic alien robots fighting, that scariness has to be present. But I completely understand that things shouldn't be graphic for the sake of being graphic, so feel free to not agree with me. 

This story idea actually came from a game I was playing in a car ride. I was counting how many cars that passed us could be Transformers I recognized, and a trailer truck with dismantled F-15's passed by. My mom suggested that would be a good plot for a Transformers comic, and I agreed.
I basically just picked the characters I liked for the story. Soundwave is my favorite Transformer (no surprise), so I knew I had to start and end with him. I know the twins Skids and Mudflap (or Mudflap and Skids if you prefer) are controversial, but I liked the idea of twin soldiers fighting alongside each other even if they aren't the brightest bulbs. There's more than a place for people who are brave and good without being particularly clever. That's what attracted me about them before I learned about the extreme problems with their movie portrayal. I included my version of them anyway.

The comic itself isn't perfect. It would need to be edited for length depending on how many pages I actually received, and the writing isn't the most nuanced of all time. I wanted to show that I can do stuff like this, and that I want to get better. God is good, and He will do what He will. That's what I most like about the Transformers: they're a race of ancient powerful pure good or evil aliens here to save us from ourselves or utterly destroy us. It's angelic in a sense, and the (admittedly few) moments when I see that accurately captured in the movies is where they shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment