Saturday, March 10, 2018

Supermen

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." -Luke 12:48

I told myself I would post something different before posting another Superman drawing, but I'm not putting up this picture for any particular artistic merit, just personal value. Today I participated in my second Walk for Water that I have ever done. It's an event that raises awareness and money for people, particularly people in African countries like Liberia, that don't have access to the same clean water that we do every day. It does this by letting donators participate in a 2-mile walk holding a bucket where you fill up your bucket with dirty water and then go back to have it sanitized. I didn't donate much, but it was good to help even in such a small way. I hope I'll be able to do more someday.

Anyway, it made me think up this drawing with Superman on it. If I had gotten my way, they would've been on a road, and I would have come up with some way to frame them more as clear equals, but I guess I ran out of space or I'm not quite good enough for that yet. I still wanted to draw it. It turned out very different from the image in my head.

What I'd love to see from superhero stories more than anything except more good portrayals of religion is to see superheroes tackle social problems, not just physical and occasionally emotional ones. There's a temptation with stories of all kinds to focus on just one aspect of a conflict: either physical, emotional, or social. It's the same way people want to just focus on physical, emotional, or social solutions. But that's too simplistic. We can do better. People have done it before.

I'm so thankful we know an actual superman who can do more for people than any of us can put together. There is One who really will do everything that can be done to save us all. Thank you God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment