Saturday, March 10, 2018

Titan-Boy




Behold Titan-Boy. He's a superhero I made up with, like Jamy, a certain message in mind that I wont spoil here. His name is based on the titan Prometheus, one of the original inspirations for the Science Fiction genre. His name is also based on my personal favorite superhero, Larry-Boy (followed closely by Franklin Richards followed closely by Spider-Man). And of course it just sounds cool to me. In my opinion, there aren't enough superhero characters with the title "-Boy" at the end of them. His powers tie into the message I want to tell which is connected to the corruption of fantasy and imagination, a very science fiction concept. His suit is basically low-grade programmable matter which can form any solid object so long as he pre-programs it before it's needed (have I mentioned I'm a computer science major?), it remains attached to his suit, and it's small enough for the limited suit modules to form. That why there's all those weird square things around his weapons. I'd want to make it more obvious in the actual animation or comic (or possibly motion comic).

Because of this, his design (as you can probably guess) is partially based on Optimus Prime from the Transformers stories. This is complicated but important. I love parts of the Transformers films, but the movies themselves are, as a whole, terrible. However, there are parts of them worth using, and I can even use the awful parts the same way PIXAR's The Incredibles uses aspects of the James Bond movies to strengthen its message and story. There's actually a similar major problem to The Transformers movies' in Titan-Boy's other style inspiration, Tron Legacy, but it's much more subtle.

The last image is actually the first drawing of Titan-Boy that I did. I originally wanted the face plate to look like athletic gear, but it just ending up looking like a horror-movie character's and detracted from the Optimus Prime look I was going for. So I got rid of them. Then I simplified the design more and more so that he would be more distinctive and recognizable. I'd still be interested in doing more of that. God you are my only God. Your will be done especially for this plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment