Saturday, March 10, 2018

Jamy Welkins

So this is Jamy. At least that's her working name. There's something about how I made her character that's based off more of a feeling than any one person I know (although she is named after a very wonderful person I do know). She was originally created just as a vehicle for a specific story with a message I wanted to tell. That evolved into (I may as well say it even though it's crazy) the idea of writing about a magic high school closer to what actual modern high schools are like than the magic schools I've read about. Jamy is our entry point into this world, even though she doesn't particularly evoke it. One of the things I like about her is that she's not really the hero of the story. She's basically the heroine's sidekick or Watson. But she also has her own story and struggle that I wanted to focus on. She's an everyman. I like sidekick stories. So that was what I was trying to capture in these images: casual. That casual relateability that I knew she had when I first thought of her.

I was tempted to not put these drawings on here for a few reasons. One of them is that the project she's a part of is so much bigger than this, and another is that even though these drawings of her are by far the best I've done, I'm still not capable of the art style I want to be able to draw her in. God you know the plans I have for her, but God your plans be done, not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment