Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Shelved Discussion

My second original animatic! The story and script for this one has been finished for quite a while, but I only just drew all the frames this week because I wanted to get in one more animatic before college. This is also my first animatic that I've done in my own (heavily influenced) style rather than Gravity Falls style. The last animatic got a lot of in-person comments from different people about how "smart" it was. One person even compared it to the independent film "Primer," which was not my intention. I like smart stories, and I like making smart stories. That was kind of the point of Tachy's Time Pizza. However, I wanted to do something more relatable for this animatic. So just as a reminder, Bookends is a story idea I had about made-up sentient books. One is Classic Children's Fairytales, another is 1983 (my parody name for the George Orwell's dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four), and the third is The Great Journey. Their character design and personality are based on what kind of books they each are. You may have been wondering why they were sleeping on shelves. Now you know.

This time I actually drew the frames from start to finish, then went back and filled in more. In other words, I didn't draw the beginning and end frames first, so there is a little change in dimensions overtime. Usually I don't make that mistake, but it's something for me to learn from next time. I simplified the shapes and lines early on. It was fun to take a character I had designed in detail and figure out how to storyboard them properly. There are a lot of amateur mistakes as well as flaws that just arise out of the scanned paper format I'm using, but I'm really glad I did this. Thank you so much God for helping me to finish this. I had a lot of fun. Your will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment