Sunday, August 27, 2017

Completely Your Fault

Okay, unlike the last post this might require a bit of explanation. So since I got my English credit out of the way in high school I'm taking a course about concepts of Hell in western literature this semester. The course started a few days ago, and while I was waiting for the professor to arrive, I drew some shadowy figures. These figures are based on an idea I have for drawing the unsubstantial ghosts from Hell in C.S. Lewis' book The Great Divorce. (You may have noticed I've been drawing a lot from C.S. Lewis lately, but that's because focusing on familiar experiences often eases times of transition.) These figures were also an experiment in communicating a human shape with as little lines as possible. Then I added a bunch of random, fiery lines to distort them. After the class my head was so full of vague uncertainty and cautious hope that I decided to draw the characters Ford and Rick fighting with the ghost figures to balance my brain out. I finished it today. So still nothing incredibly original, but it's something.

I drew Rick's head too big in proportion to his body. It's a common error of mine. Ford also looks slightly off somehow, but I think I'll have to re-draw him to figure out what. I drew the topmost, rightmost, and bottom-left ghosts first, and I like them the best of the five. Ford is the one saying that this is completely Rick's fault. To which Rick responds with something like "Yeah, put it on the list."

Maybe I'll try to do something different next time. For a minute it looked like I would have too little energy to draw this like I said I would. I'm thankful I ended up doing it. Thank you God for today and for this drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment