Sunday, August 20, 2017

Your Affectionate Uncle

Tonight I was listening to The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, and I took it upon myself to create a rough character design for the titular character. For those of you who don't know, The Screwtape Letters is written from the perspective of an arch-devil giving advice to his nephew. It's a fantastic literary device for a great book. You should read it.

I have seen many illustrations of Screwtape, but none of them satisfied me. They were neither arrogant nor frightening enough. So I drew a bunch of concepts till I had something I was somewhat happy with. There would be a lot more design decisions to make, but I wanted to do this now while I could. I'm doing something a little different. Because I'm in college now I don't have easy access to a printer, so instead I took a photo of this page with my phone. I have no idea how this will work in the future for things like animatics. Right now all I can do is take college three days at a time when I want to be taking it one day at a time. God have mercy on us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment