Monday, July 17, 2017

The Movement of a Dragon's Wing


This is perhaps the first time I've really gotten a line of action close to being right. I've tried to do it before, especially when imitating comics, but it's never really clicked until now. Part of what was great about this one is I could just trace the figure's leg straight from the line of action, and I had a reference for at what point her hair dipped and came back up. The elephant's line of action in the right-hand corner isn't as well done. I knew a scared line kind of hesitates and zaggs in one place, but I didn't quite leave myself enough space to communicate that with the elephant's back. And yes, that is a cartoon baby elephant with feet instead of just toes. It's complicated, but it makes sense in context. The dragon also has a less obvious action line for where I want it's back to arch, but that's more for my reference.

Obviously this image was experimenting with motion. It's a little odd, but I actually tried not to use motion lines (my normal technique) and just try to convey the motions of the figures though shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment