Friday, February 9, 2018

Super 8th-Grader

Sometimes I think that maybe I'm drawing too much of superheroes. Then I quickly disregard those thoughts because they are ridiculous. But seriously I can't help it. They're just so inspiring at this time in my life; like this girl for example. The drawing on the left is a quickly sketched version of Supergirl from the awesome comic Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade. As the title implies, this isn't the adult Supergirl most people are used to. Superman sends her off to public school so she can learn more about how to fit in with Earth. It's even more difficult for her than adjusting to college is for me, and it's amazing.

The drawing on the right is the same character drawn in the same style I've been drawing other superheroes recently. I've wanted to draw this almost since I recently discovered this version of the character. I'm still amazed it didn't end up looking super weird. She doesn't look quite as "gawky" (the original comic's words, not mine) as the original, but this is only my first attempt. I also didn't get the proportions of her head and hands right, as I am oft to do. Using the live action tv series as reference was incredibly helpful for adding realism to her design (especially for making her hair obey gravity). Part of why I think I'm drawing so many superheroes is because I need practice drawing people, and this is the one of the most interesting way to do it.

One of my favorite quotes from this version of the character is "Thank you, Invulnerability. You are my very bestest friend." I feel that way about God. He's my Invulnerability. God's will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment