Sunday, February 11, 2018

Yeah By the Way: Luke 10 : 18





This is the first in what I've called my "Jesus Yeah, By the Way" series. I started just last night and finished this morning. Recently a video came up in my YouTube recommendations that said "The Bible Does Not Say Jesus is God." That took me all of a hot minute to refute from memory, but in doing so I came up with the idea for this cartoon and others like it. This is an interpretation of the scene from Luke 10:18 where Jesus casually mentions He saw the fall of Satan.

I started by figuring out how I wanted to draw Jesus. I drew from a lot of different sources. I don't even remember them all this morning. But eventually I ended up with wanting to just give Him a very down-to-earth look (literally) while still being recognizable. Like the kind of guy who you can't help but believe, even if what he says sounds kind of out there. Along the way I learned that the expression I had in mind was very difficult. I wanted it to be intense without looking angry. In contrast, the disciples were very fun to draw since I could exaggerate them and make them look basically however I wanted. I chose a more cartoony art style specifically to show that this is an exaggeration and interpretation of the real events, not how I think they actually happened. That's also the reason the returning disciple's speech is taken directly from the Bible, and Jesus' is slightly altered. It's for the shock value of humor.

I'm really happy with how this turned out. It makes me hopeful for future cartoons. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment