Saturday, July 2, 2022

1/3rd Rule

I had no intention of posting today, but I wanted to share this. Let's hope I don't forget it. 





For a long time now I've been comparing my art to other styles that I like, wondering "Why can't I make characters look attractive that way? What am I missing? Is it the space of the eyes? Is it the head shape?" Now, after years of wondering, now I know... 

It's the mouth. I just moved the mouth closer to the nose. 

That's it. 

Now, this makes perfect sense. A human's mouth is not halfway between the nose and chin like how I have been drawing it. This is what I've felt makes it so obvious for me to spot my own work. It lends a distinctive look to my previous characters' faces. But a human's mouth is roughly 1/3rd of the way down from the mouth to the chin. They teach you this in every basic art class and face drawing tutorial on the planet. I somehow missed this. 

And now I can draw a face. Sheesh. 

God be with me. I'm tired today. It's been a long week of the last few days. God save the world and come back soon. Love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment