Sunday, May 1, 2022

Short Stories

So for the last week, I've thought about posting some short stories that I've already written onto this blog. I'm a little surprised I hadn't already. These have been done for about a year. Two of these stories (Abbess Janet) were written for a class in the last semester of my senior year of college. The other is a children's short story I wrote with the intention of submitting it to children's magazines. I never heard back from where I submitted it, so I figure there's no harm in putting it here.

Madison's Dad 

The above story is the children's story I wrote. It's very realistic, but I was still inspired stylistically by Louis Sachar's Wayside School stories, which are a personal favorite of mine, and Robert Munsch's short stories, especially Stephanie's Ponytail, which is another personal favorite. 

For this story's moral, I was inspired by my own life as well as a story told by my pastor at RUF in Clemson, Reid.

Janet of the Last Monastery (Prologue Story)

Abbess Janet of the Last Monastery

These next two stories are the stories that were written for class. I was inspired initially by a description in Andre Norton's "The Toads of Grimmerdale", which we read for class. I was also primarily inspired by the animated film The Secret of Kells. As a warning to parents, I should note there is some violence in these stories and the mention of blood. When I presented the first draft to my class, they all wanted to know more about the Gloom Sisters. I knew the backstory of the Gloom Sisters myself, but I hadn't included it because I didn't think it was important. In the final draft, I wrote it out, providing the creepiest part of the entire story. 

Some readers might recognize the influence of Samurai Jack's Daughters of Aku in the Gloom Sisters. I was also inspired by the obsidian weapons of Pitch Black's army in William Joyce's E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! the book.

Thank you, God, for another year and for everything. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment