Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Evan.spp

  

 

 One of the classes I'm taking this semester is Surfacing class, where we design textures and surfaces for objects. This is the model I came up with for the organic model assignment. Evan was created using a website that's name I forget which creates randomly generated and rigged human models. My teacher introduced it to me. I'll have to ask about it later. 

I want to be able to create a 2D look in as short a time as possible. To that end, I'm interested in learning about cell-shading and creating 3D models that appear two-dimensional. A lot of the animation industry and research right now is geared towards finding ways to make even more complex and realistic simulations of the world with the technology available. As soon as one effect becomes easy, they push themselves to another even more complex effect. I think this is somewhat absurd. There is, of course, a place for pushing technological boundaries, but technological advancements should be taken advantage of to produce work that is beautiful but cheap and time-effective. Imagine a world where a 10-year-old could use easy-to-understand software to create a beautiful CGI film clip. That is more what I'm interested in.

As you can probably tell, Evan here is my first attempt at anything like this with 3D software. The black outline around him is a slightly larger Evan model with the normals reversed (this is animator talk). The rest is hand-drawn with a poly-fill tool and a normal surfacing brush in Adobe Surface Painter. If I was to remake Evan, I would lift elements such as his collar and buttons off from the model. For now, I'm satisfied with what this has taught me, and I look forward to finishing this model and giving it eyes.

Praise be to God. I love you. Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment