Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Half of Halves

This is a little picture I've been meaning to post for awhile. It's of the two DC comics characters, Tim Drake, the third Robin, and Stephanie Brown, Spoiler. In the comics, Spoiler's an anti-heroic criminal who butts heads and eventually partners with Tim. My reason for drawing them is a little complicated. See I sometimes think up games for my cousins to play, and one of them, for my oldest cousin on my dad's side, is a game based around the third Robin. I was trying to think of how I wanted to characterize Stephanie, because as far as I can tell in the comics she has no set characterization other than that no one takes her seriously (even though at this point they really should) because she doesn't have the personality of a typical dark, brooding, vigilante. So I was thinking about it, and something I've noticed that Tim and my cousin share is they both get tunnel-vision levels of intense focus on whatever problem they're concerned with solving. They're incredibly smart, just they have difficulty getting out of one mindset (kind of like me now that I think about it). I thought it would be fun to have Steph contrast with that; in that despite that she's a super-competent gentle-lady thief, she's also kind of all-over-the-place. The next step was epitomizing that relationship in a drawing so I didn't forget it.

I used the style of a series of comics called "Li'l Gotham" just as something quick and fun to draw. I drew Spoiler in her first costume. With the new series DC is putting out, her original costume was changed so that her mask was basically a bandana over her face and her hair was spilling out all over. The first one makes more sense to me. I like how I managed to capture Steph's motion. Tim was done basically completely by reference. (By the way the picture looks way better if you click on it to look at it enlarged)

Side note, why is "halves" the plural of "half?" That just looks weird. I know because it's from Middle English, but still. Some people have already seen this drawing and thought it was good. That feels nice. Thanks God.

No comments:

Post a Comment