Friday, August 14, 2020

Storyboard Process

Okay, lots on this post. So I'm going to give a little description up here.

These were all done almost four months ago for my Digital Production Arts class this past semester. We were supposed to make a short (20 panel) storyboard about our space cowboy character. I didn't want to try to tell a full story with just 20 cuts, so I just did the first part. I really probably should have put this stuff on here sooner.

Above is the first go of this that I did. As you can see, most of the shots are straight-on or side view, like how I usually draw subjects right now. My teacher told me to try more 3/4 views, which I made a note of above. Personally, I'm pretty happy with how readable my drawings are at this scale.

Try #2. A little more experimenting. I accidentally skipped a row, so I just went with it and drew arrows to indicate the order of sequence. My classmates and teacher were all very quick to remind me that if I had done this digitally it wouldn't be a problem. If they want to buy me the equipment and software and then teach me to use it I'd love to see it. Ingrates. (I'm being sarcastic. I consider myself on good enough terms with them to jokingly call them "ingrates," as strange as that is.)

And here are the final storyboards: 
 









So that's it. The criticism that really stuck with me from class was that "nothing really happened," which is fair. I wanted something slower paced and more atmospheric (I was thinking about Samurai Jack or the old 2003 Clone Wars cartoon), but they didn't like it. Oh well.

 
Anyway, I thought I'd include these too. I had to make them as part of the character turnaround. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I like how it ended up. With these, I was told I need more consistency. Makes sense I guess. I was trying to use squash and stretch, but I don't mean to make excuses. 

Anyway, thanks God for helping me to do this before school starts again in a couple of days. Protect us all in this time, and be with us. God, be with me. Thanks. Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment