Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Class Wizard Figure

For art class, we were supposed to take a model pose we've seen in class and make a classic fantasy style character based off of it. So I made this one. I basically drew the model as in the picture and added gambeson that I googled online to her along with a dragon. The dragon familiar is inspired by the Spiderwick Chronicles dragon. I used Spiderwick as a reference before when designing Bibbie. I think there's no other fantasy creature designs that feel like they fit in the real world instead of being goofy and that are based on the traditional myths and stories about fairy creatures instead of just being derivations of Tolkien's work.
I'm a big fan of realism in fantasy, even if you're adding elements like dragons. That's why I wanted gambeson. Realism also usually helps me break out of some genre conventions, making my work seem more original. Realism up until the point where it becomes less interesting than what else you could do. That's kind of how I think about it.
The dragon is the best part of the drawing. That's why I included a close-up picture. It probably looks so good because it was based off of another drawing (Spiderwick), so the image was already broken down for me. I'm getting much better at human proportions because of this class. I also think I got the line of action on this figure right.
God be with me. Help me to do what you want. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment