Monday, August 5, 2019

Biot


Finally. The final After Avenger is complete. I realize it's taken me a while. I really didn't have much of any idea what to do with this character. I knew I wanted one more After Avenger, and I knew I wanted a big character so that there'd be some obvious visual contrast with the rest of the group. But I just didn't see how to make an interesting big character or what modern movie genre I could get ideas from. I knew maybe he'd be a robot of some kind. But if so, what? Eventually I realized I don't really connect with "big" characters in comics, so I tried making one I could.

To that end, this is Biot. It's a portmanteau of "biological robot." I didn't make it up. He's a farmer from an alternate universe where robotic life developed on Earth. On his world he was something of a failed hero, but on ours he's become an Avenger. One day, a form of complex biotic life fell to his Earth attracted by his experiments. It bonded with him and gave him the ability to camouflage and manipulate biological systems (including healing them). I got a kick out of the idea of a born robot fusing with a biological alien, and I liked the idea of a stealth and healing big character. I based him off of some independent films and other independent projects that I know. Ironically, as the only main CGI character, he'd be the least likely to be made an independent film about. Though hopefully some of his parts could be done with a suit, like the ones they use at Disney's Pandora.

As you can see, I included another color palette. His main body is silver white. His lower legs, the inner part under his eye, the tips of his fingers, his hips, his headpiece, and part of his chin are yellow. His shoulder armor, the backs of his hands, knees, and eyes are purple. Some parts of his armor and head armor are black. His chest square and waist are blue, and the plants are green.

This pose isn't very exciting because originally this was just going to be more brainstorming art. But then I kept drawing and kept drawing and wound up with something I liked. It would still need to be passed through a concept artists room or something. Like his eyes, for example. They'd probably need pupils for the sake of the actor, but I left them like this. You can't see it very well from this angle, but his legs bend backwards instead of forwards. From the beginning I knew I wanted him to have backwards legs. It'd give him an interesting silhouette from any angle other than this one. You may notice this drawing doesn't have the same notebook paper lines that the others have. That's because it's the first drawing in the new sketch book I got for my birthday! It's got the name of this blog on the cover and everything. It's very cool.

This was him before I added the plants.

  
And these drawing are concept art I did when I was still trying to figure him out. Originally the three dots around the face were to make him more like automated turrets, but then I realized how well they worked as a symbol for him jumping between worlds. The dots on the face would be regular eyes, but the dots on the chest would be colored. The big one on the right would be purple, the left would be yellow, and the small one would be green. 

Honestly, I'm just glad I got this guy done. It took me a while. Thanks God. Please be with me the rest of tonight and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment