Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Animatic






It's finally done! My first animatic ever. It took me about nine hours over three days (which were split up). I decided to start with something like this because it seemed like a good way to begin animation itself- particularly storyboarding- my favorite field. This is a storyboard version of one of my favorite scenes from the first season of Gravity Falls. Obviously I didn't write/produce/design any of the original show. The characters, story, and lines belong to Gravity Falls. One of the big reasons I like this scene is because it's one of the most humorously realistic portrayals of two people's reactions to switching bodies that I've seen. As you can probably tell, I did all the voices and sound effects in this animatic myself (with a webcam microphone). There are a total of 39 frames hand-drawn by me in this animatic. If I was doing this professionally I probably wouldn't put as much time into the background for each frame, but I needed there to be some context. Anyone watching this side-by-side with the real version or with a good eye can see I didn't get each frame exactly right. I obviously need to work on my proportions, but that's what practice is for. This was so much fun to do, and I'm looking forward to doing more original, similar animatics in the future.

Update 4/29/18: I should have mentioned this a lot sooner. You may have noticed there's a line Dipper says in this that's not in the original. In my life I've often had trouble bending the truth or adding to it (read: lying) because I thought it would be more interesting. I try to not do that anymore, and I'm mostly successful. The only place I still feel comfortable doing it is with stories. Stories are meant to change and evolve. We try different things and experiment with them to see if it makes the story better. Of course, that doesn't really justify this change I made here. But I'm going to leave it as is. I try not to stealth edit this stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment